20 November 2012

Botanical sculpture tiles

There is nothing in the world to describe how I feel when working with clay. It's just beautifully consuming. —Angela Schwer


 bird wing @ etsy



 calla lily @ etsy



 clay sculpture @ etsy



 four species @ etsy



 hydrangea @ etsy



 no 1 dahlia @ etsy



 no 2 dahlia @ etsy



 pod tile @ etsy



 rose cluster @ etsy



 sea life @ etsy



 sea urchin @ etsy



Angela Schwer (Dilly Pad) sculpts botanical beauties using polymer clay and her hands.


Talk about your process. I use polymer clay. I have two different blends that I mix together. I originally started with just one clay, but I found it wasn’t strong enough to withstand the tumbling around it often takes in shipping. So I found a more durable clay that, when mixed with the other, gives the right balance between strength and flexibility.

I use almost anything that gives me the texture I’m looking for. Whatever gives me an imprint I’m happy with, I add it to the collection. But otherwise, I mostly sculpt with my hands. As the case with the flowers, my palms make the veins on the bottom of the petals.

Do you want to start working in kiln-fired clay?
Definitely. Working with a kiln is a whole other beast that I would love to spend more time with one day. At this point in time though, I’d love to see where polymer clay takes me.